The Brazilian Research Network on Peace Operations (REBRAPAZ) is an unprecedented initiative in Brazil, by integrating public and private, civilian and military institutions that work with research and teaching on peace operations. After five years, it is clear that the success of this great collective effort is significant. Between March 2016 and October 2020, the number of institutions formally involved grew from 6 to 15. In the same period, REBRAPAZ partners co-organized about 20 seminars, co-authored more than 50 publications and gave lectures in several workshops. These are products that would not exist without REBRAPAZ. Besides the institutions, in April 2021, we had the support of eight associated experts, professionals of the highest standing who add value and reputational weight to our Network. This significant result, achieved in such a short time, reinforces REBRAPAZ’s capacity to contribute effectively to the generation of quality knowledge about peace operations in Brazil and, thus, to fulfill its mission.
In May 2021, REBRAPAZ has 24 partners, including 16 institutions and 8 associated experts:
- Centro Conjunto de Operações de Paz do Brasil (CCOPAB), through TC Cavalcanti e da Maj Christiane;
- Centro Universitário Curitiba (UniCuritiba), through Dr. Karla Pinhel;
- Grupo de Estudos e Pesquisa sobre Conflitos Internacionais da Universidade Estadual Paulista “Júlio de Mesquita Filho” (GEPCI/UNESP-Marília), through Dr Sergio Aguilar;
- Instituto Igarapé, through Dr. Renata Giannini;
- Instituto de Relações Internacionais da Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (IRI/PUC-Rio), through Dr. Maíra Siman and Dr. Ricardo de Oliveira;
- Núcleo de Pesquisa em Relações Internacionais da Universidade de São Paulo (NUPRI/USP), through Dr Gustavo Macedo;
- Núcleo de Pesquisa Maria Rebello Mendes do Centro Universitário IBMR (NUPREM/IBMR), through Mr. Leonardo Braga; and
- Programa de Pós-Graduação em Ciências Militares da Escola de Comando e Estado-Maior do Exército (PPGCM/ECEME), through Mr. Guilherme Dias.
REBRAPAZ was launched in November 2016, after being conceived in March of the same year. Since then, we have advanced research fronts and organized around 20 events with our partners and their guests. In 2018-2019, we drafted a new Strategic Plan to align expectations and strengthen the Network, and expanded our reach by making room for new partners. In 2020, due to the pandemic, we suspended/postponed events and courses and reinforced the already used virtual environment to continue achieving our goals.
Broaden, deepen and qualify the debate on peace operations in Brazil.
To be a reference in the area of peace operations, especially with regard to the knowledge produced, the networking methodology and the capacity to generate results.
- Produce and consolidate, through research and debate, relevant and quality knowledge on peace operations (including peacekeeping operations, special political missions and other missions coordinated by international organizations);
- Promote the dissemination of research results through the production of reports and texts (academic or policy oriented); and
- Promote the realization of various events on topics relevant to peace operations, preferably aligned with the Network’s lines of research.
- Strengthen the relationship between Brazilian research and teaching institutions in the civil, police and military spheres.